North Dakota Works to Leverage Senior Year

May 28, 2016 — In a recent Q&ANorth Dakota State Superintendent Kirsten Baesler cited the fact that 27 percent of students in North Dakota need some sort of remediation class, either in math or English or both as a major concern when it comes to all students being college and career ready at the end of high school. The Legislature has recently provided $250,000 to the Department of Public Instruction and $250,000 to the Center for Distance Education to provide, in high school, the same remediation classes that are offered on college campuses. Baesler expects “it will be able to significantly reduce the number of remediation needs”. Earlier this month, North Dakota announced it will review its education standards. For more information, check out Higher Ed for Higher Standards’ resources on aligning expectations with K-12.


Stay informed! Sign up to receive the Higher Ed for Higher Standards monthly e-newsletter or view our previous newsletters here.

New Jersey Review Resoundingly Endorses Higher Standards and Aligned Assessments

January 11, 2016 — The Study Commission on the Use of Student Assessments released its recommendations today. The Commission, including members representing higher education and the business community, recommends no changes to 84% of the standards, with the remaining 16% of standards may be changed by moving from one grade level to another, or edited for clarity, according to information obtained from the state by NJ.com, and continuation of the PARCC assessments. Additional recommendations include:

  • Including passing PARCC assessments as a graduation requirement, starting for the Class of 2021
  • Encouraging Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs) throughout the State to use PARCC assessment scores for identifying course placement and enrollment in dual-credit programs.
  • Collaborating with IHEs, NJDOE and the PARCC consortium to share data on student progress in college courses to assess the validity of the PARCC assessment and to assist in the development of future tests.
  • Convening an informational session with stakeholders in New Jersey’s business community to review PARCC assessment item content and  gain greater insight into how PARCC assessment results can be useful to them.

 


Stay informed! Sign up to receive the Higher Ed for Higher Standards monthly e-newsletter or view our previous newsletters here

North Carolina Higher Ed Support Standards in Review Process

January 5, 2016 —  In a letter to the editor, higher ed leaders in North Carolina applaud the Academic Standards Review Commission decision not to replace the current standards and are committed to join any effort to improve the quality of these standards, citing wide support for the current standards and support for children with greater economic needs. 

 


Stay informed! Sign up to receive the Higher Ed for Higher Standards monthly e-newsletter or view our previous newsletters here.